Work
What I've been up to lately
It's been a really busy start to the year this year. Looking back to last year I feel really lucky to have had some of the experiences I got.
- I was fortunate enough to play with pop acts Sugababes and The Wanted as well as African Jazz Musician Somi - including a performances at the world famous TED Global conference, which was a total honour (see picture above).
- The Discordian Trio were picked by Jez Nelson and Jamie Cullum to close the BBC Introducing stage at Cheltenham Jazz Festival, and our set was played in it's entirety on Jazz on 3, we then followed that up by selling out our show at Edinburgh Jazz Festival with Haftor Medboe Group.
- My guest stint with Horndog Brass Band took me back to T in the Park to perform again - on a very wet day as I remember.
- Had some epic gigs with Carrie Mac, including a great gig during the Edinburgh Festival at Edinburgh Playhouse.
- Homework recieved some awesome support and airplay from Radio 1, Radio 6 and Radio Scotland, and we went on to do a bunch of festival shows over the summer including Belladrum, Wickerman and Go North.
- I've just finished tracking the drums for the new Homework album. It's been an amazing experience, I'm really proud of what we've created, the drum parts on this album are very different from previous recordings. Almost all of the parts I have written/programmed and then worked out how on earth to play it. From that perspective this album has really challenged me as i've had to find solutions and ways of playing the percussion and drum parts which I want to hear on the song. This has lead to me having a pretty strange setup (see below) and using some slightly off techniques. Some examples - I play half of the set open handed, I use a lot of left foot woodblock/hi hat to free up my hands, I used cymbals and pitched bits of metal on toms to create Kraftwerk style percussion parts. It's been quite challenging but a heck of a lot of fun.
- I just cut drums tracks for former X-Factor singer Danyl Johnson's new album - it was a great experience and got to work with legendary songwriter/producer Jud Mahoney who has written with the likes of Michael Jackson. It was a total pleasure to work with Jud, I learned so much, and it looks like we might be working together again soon. Can't wait.
- Next week I am rehearsing and recording with The Ged Brockie Band - the recording is also going to be videoed so I look forward to sharing some footage of that soon. Really excited about this one, the band is made of some of Scotland's finest musicians (and me) and some of the compositions are a challenging read/play - really looking forward to making this music come to life.
- Also next week I begin rehearsals with The Discordian Trio for our second album. It's been a good few years since our last studio recording, and I feel playing wise and composition wise we have come on leaps and bounds. I cannot WAIT to get stuck into the new material, including some stuff which I have been co-writing with the guys. I feel this is going to be our best yet and we have some VERY special guests lined up for the album too. Recording begins in May, watch this space.
- Not quite so new - but a good while back (well over a year now) I recorded drums from Grammy nominee Muhsinah - she is an amazing talented musician who has toured with The Roots and US Rapper Common as well as performing with The Noisettes. Well word has it this album will be seeing the light of day some time soon...exciting.
- I'm also booked into the studio for 2 exciting sessions next month, which sadly I can't disclose yet, but both things I'm looking forward to immensely. I'll blog about them nearer the time if i'm allowed!
On the gig front it's been a pretty cool start too:
- I got to play for US Rapper B. Dolan on the Scottish date of his tour this year, alongside Horndog Brass Band - what a banging gig. Also had an EPIC gig at The caves with Horndogs and Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - such a crazy energy. What a buzz, and what an amazing drummer Gabriel Wallace is. The dude has played for gorillaz, De La Soul, Maurice Brown amongst others. A total inspiration.
- Had a totally rocking gig in Glasgow with the Homework guys at MILK (see photo below). Awesome crowd.
- Also, I've been percussion tutor for Tinderbox Orchestra this term, which culminated in our performance at Teviot Hall last month. The orchestra performed electronic works as an orchestra, in what I think was a really ground-breaking performance. Collaborations with Anchorsong and Conquering Animal Sound were also performed during the gig both of which were spectacular. Next gig is at The Queen's Hall - can't wait.
- Had a cracking gig with The Paul Simon Experience at the Jazz Bar too - some of Edinburgh top musicians paying tribute to Paul Simon songs complete with brass section. Blown away by the awesome talents of all involved and a total honour to try and replicate such influential drum grooves as '50 Ways To Leave Your Lover', 'The Obvious Child' and "Late in the Evening".
- Currently planning the CD launch for The Banjo Lounge 4 - in June. Before that we're off to Rock (Bluegrass) London in May. Check out some of the new pics up on the website.
- Homework have a gig coming up this Thursday at Wide Days - it's FREE! All you got to do it sign up for tickets HERE!!! Also our latest single, 'Thoughts' is FREE to download HERE
- I also have an exciting gig coming up in a couple of weeks with US Jazz Vocalist Jess Abrams - see poster below for details
Looking Forward
Changes...
Whilst I've had an amazing couple of years as a freelance musician, I've had an itch which is now becoming impossible to ignore. Whilst having a (somewhat inebriated) conversation with a friend, we began talking about output - that is what you leave behind as an artist when you bite the dust. It got me thinking about how many things I commit to, and weather I'm doing any one of those the very best I can when I'm so busy. During the time of the homework writing/recording, it really lit a fire in me to practise more and explore the potential of my creative ideas and indeed my instrument. With that in mind I've made a commitment to work less and commit more time to working on my own ideas and on my instrument. This starts with me moving out of my home in June in order to put me in a place where I can spend more time on music. I'm really looking forward to the change, I don't want to say much more about it - but I think this could be the most positive this I do since I started playing music.
Listening Post
Some things I like at the moment:
- Robert Glasper Experiment 'Black Radio'
- D'Angelo 'Brown Sugar'
- College and Electric Youth 'A Real Hero EP'
- Panda Su 'Sticks and Bricks'
- Janek Gwizdala "live at the 55 bar'
- Michel Camilo "Rendezvous"
- Eliza Carthy "Neptune"
- Admiral Fallow 'Boots Met My Feet'
All incredible pieces of music worth checking out. That's it from me for another 3 months or so. Look forward to all the exciting things the world of music and the arts throws my way over the next wee while.
R





No comments:
Post a Comment